Sunday, January 4, 2009

Exploring

Today, We went to the Owyhee Dam area, looking for ATV trails that we will be able to use when it's not so cold. I've always wanted to stop and see what the hot springs is all about but usually there are other people there and I really didn't feel like crashing a skinny dip party. However today no one was around, someone had been there because they had a fire and it was still smoking.

This is not smoke but steam, the water was pretty warm.


Gary is testing the water. I'm not sure how someone can get out of the water and dressed before they get frostbite. Brrrr.



This is a water tube, they are huge Gary says they are roughly 12 ft in dia. They send water to the valley for irrigation. Sometimes the water travels in canals, sometimes in under ground tunnels.




This is the outside of one of the tunnels it's along ways down.





This is the inside of the tunnel. It's pretty much straight down, Gary was holding the camera out to get this shot. I could just imagine slipping in to that hole. I think I will have nightmares tonight.






Just about as far as Gary is willing to go.

This is a picture of the canal, that we had to climb into to get the pictures above.

To get to the main road Gary had to decide if the Owyhee river was low enough to drive across, or we had to back up and go out the way we came.

We crossed--(awful picture) Gary was driving pretty fast, I'm glad we didn't get stuck, I would have hated to wade out.








2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

What an adventure! Those tunnels are amazing, and would give me nightmares for sure. Wildlife could get in there..and I bet they have. Your picture actually gave me vertigo..I am a flat lander ya know! The Hot Springs sound great, do you plan to give them a whirl? :)

Jewel said...

maybe but it would have to be after dark?